7 Held for Multimillion-dollar T&T Airport Robbery


SEVEN people have been detained in connection with Wednesday’s multimillion dollar robbery at the Piarco International Airport in Trinidad, a source told the Jamaica Observer yesterday.

The source said four men, armed with high-powered rifles and dressed in Army fatigues, pretended to be guards when they breached airport security and made off with approximately TT$5.5 million which was being transferred from a security vehicle onto a plane in the cargo area of the international airport.

In the meantime, as investigations continue into the robbery, the police have been questioning several people in connection with the incident, the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) reported yesterday.

According to the CMC, police, on hearing of the robbery, conducted roadblocks but were unable to apprehend the culprits.

Police said it appeared the culprits had some knowledge of the security mechanisms in place for the cash cargo that was destined for First Citizens Bank (FCB) in Tobago, said the CMC report.

A media release from the Airports Authority of T&T confirmed the robbery, adding officials were working with police to solve the crime.

FCB head of brand and marketing, Larry Olton, also confirmed the incident.

First Citizens Group CEO Karen Darbasie said: “The incidence of crime appears to be on the rise, and has indeed reached alarming levels. Too often now we are seeing what appears to be planned and organised criminal activity, targeting businesses, including banks. This last incident seems to be no exception. This calls for greater vigilance on the part of businesses, the police and all stakeholders. First Citizens is taking further steps to ensure the safety of our people, our customers and their assets, under the circumstances and in this current environment.”

She added that First Citizens officials were assisting police with their investigations.

This was the second high profile multi million robbery targeting bank money in recent years.

On November 27, 2013, a van was robbed of TT$17 million and US$150,000, representing money from several banks, as it was being transported along the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway to the airport early that morning for a flight to Tobago.

During that attack, 59-year-old veteran security officer Bert Clarke was murdered. His death and the robbery remains unsolved to date.

Source: Jamaica Observer

Comments are closed.